What Size Fishing Rod is Best for Walleye?
Fishing for walleye can be an exciting and rewarding experience. However, to maximize your chances of success, it’s essential to have the right fishing gear. One crucial piece of equipment you’ll need is a fishing rod specifically designed for walleye fishing.
Factors to Consider
When selecting a fishing rod size for walleye, there are several factors to consider:
Type of Fishing
The type of fishing you plan on doing will influence the size of the rod you should choose. If you’re mainly going to fish from shore or in small lakes and rivers, a shorter rod may be more suitable. On the other hand, if you’re planning on trolling or casting long distances in larger bodies of water, a longer rod would be more appropriate.
Your preferred technique when targeting walleye also plays a role in determining the ideal rod length. Different techniques require different actions and sensitivities from your fishing gear. For example:
- Jigging: A medium-length spinning or baitcasting rod around 6-7 feet works well for jigging techniques.
- Trolling: Trolling often requires longer rods (around 7-9 feet) with moderate action to handle heavy lures and provide better control.
- Casting: When casting crankbaits or soft plastics, a medium-action spinning or baitcasting rod between 6-7 feet will give you sufficient power and sensitivity.
Rod Length Recommendations
The following are general recommendations based on popular walleye fishing techniques:
- Shore or small lakes/rivers: A 6-7 foot, medium-light to medium power rod is ideal for jigging in these environments. It offers enough sensitivity to feel subtle strikes while still providing the backbone needed to control larger walleye.
- Large bodies of water: For open-water trolling on bigger lakes and reservoirs, a longer rod between 7-9 feet with moderate action is recommended. This length will help you cover more water effectively and handle heavier lures.
- Crankbaits or soft plastics: When casting crankbaits or soft plastics from shore or a boat, a spinning rod around 6-7 feet with medium power and moderate-fast action works well. It allows for accurate casts and good control over your presentation.
Finding the Right Rod
To find the perfect fishing rod size for walleye, it’s important to consider your personal preferences as well. Visit your local tackle shop and speak with knowledgeable staff who can guide you based on your specific needs. Additionally, always remember to test out the rods by holding them in your hands before making a final decision.
In conclusion, selecting an appropriate fishing rod size for walleye largely depends on factors such as the type of fishing you plan on doing and your preferred technique. Whether jigging, trolling, or casting, there are suitable options available for each method that will enhance your chances of success when targeting this popular game fish.
Remember: choosing the right gear is essential not only for optimizing performance but also for enjoying every moment spent on the water. So, do your research, consider your specific needs, and invest in a quality fishing rod that will make your walleye fishing adventures memorable.