How to Mount a Fish Finder to Your Trolling Motor
Are you an avid angler searching for ways to maximize your fishing experience? Then, mounting a fish finder to your trolling motor can be a game-changer! A fish finder helps you locate and target fish with precision, saving you time and effort. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of mounting a fish finder onto your trolling motor.
Gather the necessary tools and equipment
Before starting the installation process, make sure you have all the required tools and equipment handy. Here’s what you’ll need:
- – Drill machine (cordless recommended)
- – Appropriate drill bits
- – Screwdriver set
- – Adjustable wrench
- – Zip ties or stainless steel hose clamps
- – Mounting bracket or kit (usually provided with the fish finder)
- – Electrical tape or heat shrink tubing (for wire management)
Selecting an optimal location for mounting
The first step is finding an ideal spot on your trolling motor for mounting the fish finder. Consider these factors when choosing:
- Visibility: Ensure that it won’t obstruct your view while operating the trolling motor.
Vibration:L Avoid areas prone to excessive vibration as it may affect sonar readings.Avoid Interference: Avoid placing it too close to other electronics such as depth sounder transducers or radios that could cause interference.
Mounting Bracket Installation Process
Most fish finders come with a mounting bracket or kit. Follow these steps to mount the bracket:
- Step 1: Clean the surface of your trolling motor.
Taking time to wipe off any dirt, dust, or residue will help ensure a secure attachment.Step 2: Position the mounting bracket on top of the trolling motor head.
Avoid covering control buttons and make sure it remains level and centered. Step 3: Screw in place using appropriate screws provided in your kit.
- Step 1: Monothread fishing line or a thin string can be used to measure cable length for connection between fish finder display unit and transducer on trolling motor.
Tighten firmly but avoid overtightening that could damage your equipment.
Fish Finder Mounting Process
Once you have installed the mounting bracket, follow these steps to attach your fish finder: